Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Getting organized

As I grew up my mom often had a list for us to do and then she even had her own list. Then when I married Lance and we would go visit his mom she would have lists of Marge's to do's. Now that Marge's lives next door I see this is a daily things for her...she has often told me to write my own list to cross off...it is so fun to cross things off a list whether it is my list or someone else's list. Sooooooooooooooooo..................... I made my own organizer.

This is very scary but this is what I call my brain...not hard to image it not having much content. :) In the book I had previously wrote about it suggeted sitting down for 15 minutes to organize your day so you don't waste 4 hours. Well I will have to say that is very true. When I would go downtown to mail stuff or go the store I would almost always forget something I needed to do or take with me. So now I write all the stuff that needs to be done in that day plus a few household chores and what we are eatting that day so all I have to do is look at today and see this is what is on the agenda and there is now no more forgotten things. YEAH!!!


In my 3 ring binder I have two types of calenders, 1.) A year at a glance 2.) a two month calendar. On these calendars I wrote in the weekly activities as in AWANA or a month meeting.

This is just a 5 subject tablet; I use this to write the days activities and the things that need mailed or delivered. I also wrote down the items that need to be purchased at the store as I run out or for a meal. I also write down birthdays for that day so I can call and wish someone a happy birthday. As I get the things done on the list it is so rewarding to cross it off and see that I have done something today even if it was cleaning the bathroom. :)
So now you will know my secret to "getting it all done without feel overwhelmed" (part of the title tot he book I post earlier). I most certainly don't feel overwhelmed like I use to but I am a long ways from getting it on done. :)


3 comments:

current typist said...

We list makers--type "A" in more ways than one--know we have trouble holding it together, so we make the extra effort to make sure things don't fall apart! -goodbadi

Jamimania said...

Good for you sis! I love organization (not that you can tell from looking at the right end of my kitchen counter! ha) but... I live by lists and calendars too. I don't know how anyone survives without it. I actually got a cell phone with a calendar on it so I can just enter those appointments and important things in there immediately before my crowded brain has a chance to forget it. The best part is I can set an alarm to go off to remind me. Now this is for the seriously forgetful scatter-brained person... so as you might imagine it's a lifesaver for me! :) As for forgetfulness... I have a notebook for that too. I write stuff down I don't wanna forget - such as where I put something important, something I want to remember to tell someone, long term goals or to do lists, ideas I have for the house or gifts, I even occasionally stick recipes in there until I can tranfer them neatly to the recipe book. Anyway... sounds like you're well on your way to getting organized, I'm proud of you. :)

Oh... and I love the new look of your blog and the pix of the kids. CUTE! Miss ya!!

mjoseph said...

Some wise person once said, "A thing well planned is a thing half done." Oh, wait, that was Louis L'amour. Anywhoo... let me know if that is true with you as well.