Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Black Hills Trip



It was decided months before Bub's birthday that we go to Cabela's. So ALL summer he saved his money up so he could spend it there. So on Friday the 19th of Sept we took off for Rapid City to celebrate his birthday and visit my brother and his family.
With everyone in our family I always make a "birthday meal" so knowing Caleb enjoys the Applebee, we ate there on his birthday. Of course since he is now 13 he is not thrilled about all this picture taking in public.


Here is Caleb at Cabela's and I am driving him nuts by poking along OUTSIDE. :) HEHEHE!!! I so enjoying having fun like that...maybe I should repent but don't feel the need yet.


Then on Saturday we joined my brother and his wife watching his girls at "playdays". It is a time where a bunch of kids can perform at barrels, poles, etc. It is like a kids rodeo...even the adults got to compete. This is how Samantha spent the 4 hours...sitting on anyones lap who would take her...she didn't have too many who didn't take her.
They asked Emily if she would like to participate and of course she jumped at the chance. For the littlest kids it was called lead line and this is how they do it. An adult pulls the horse through the course while the child rides along...doesn't seem far but that is how they learn. Emily caught on quickly to kick and that will make things go faster.


Emily got 2nd on 4 events...those are the ones that Michael pulled her through. But a I think it was 3rd on the one where Michael pulled her out to a barrel where a gentleman give her a cracker after she was off the horse, she then at to take a bit of the cracker and run for the finish line. She had so much fun and we enjoyed watching Michaels girls also. Michael even competed, he looks so gracefully on the back of a horse. I guess you probably would after you spend nearly everyday on the back of one.

I had to capture this photo of my dad and Michael riding...I am jealous of the time they are spending together. They are total enjoying themselves. Michael promise Samantha ride when the rodeo was over...so she is getting a good long ride.

We were headed back to the vans to go eat lunch at Michaels before we head off to see some sites. And I looked up and show Samantha carrying Michaels halter...way to cute to miss sharing with you.
Well obviously one of the sites we took in was Mount Rushmore...AWESOME. Enjoyed the history...learned allot about the making of it. There was a trail you could hike...long and at times strenous. But we all had a very wonderful time.

We decided to stay for the lighting ceremony at Mount Rushmore and one of the things they did was honor our veterns. I encouraged Lance to go and when he got done there he had the opportunity to help fold the flag. He is the one stand beside the short lady in a hat (she was a ranger and MC). It was a very moving time. I couldn't have been more proud of my husband, it was awesome to see all those who have worked to keep our country free. I can't even began to put it into words.

So has we left feeling tired, and content with the days events, I turned around to get a last look at Mt. Rushmore and this is the site I saw. If you haven't been there, there is a isle you walk through that has all the flags of the states and a few others, that is what you are looking at below Mt. Rushmore. It was a pretty awesome weekend, I really enjoyed spending time with my brother and wife Sarah, and of course there beautiful daughters.

1 comment:

Jamimania said...

Looks like you guys had a great time, GOOD FOR YOU!! :) I'm glad you got to get away for some fun family time. The phots are awesome. I love the one of Sammy walkin with your brother and Emmy is so cute in her little boots. Even tho the photo doesn't show it, I'm sure Caleb was having a fun time. :)

Love you guys and can't wait to see pix of your finished bathroom. YAY.

Oh... by the way, I thought you'd like to know that my word verification word to post this comment is "homay". Huh?? ha ha.

Love and hugs,
jami